Hi… My name is Peter Read and I live near Shepparton in north-central Victoria.
My wife and I built our house, workshop and gardens on 2 acres of land and most days you’ll find me building scopes… BIG scopes.
I love BIG Dobsonians – as long as they are well made. They give awesome views of the heavens, are easy to use and are very quiet.
If you’re thinking of a BIG scope, then you already know that “Size DOES Matter”.
I build a limited number of scopes each year and aim to make scopes that are “as good to look at as they are to look through”.
Each scope comes complete with:
- Your choice of mirror from the worlds best opticians
- Enhanced coatings
- All marine ply construction
- All stainless steel hardware
- 6 coats of 2 pack polyurethane
- 18 point mirror cell on 12” – 28” scopes
- 27 point mirror cell on 30” – 40″ scopes
- Super stiff focuser board
- Feathertouch focuser
- Mirror fan
- Laminar fan
- Metal side bearings
- Ebony Star on Teflon bearing surfaces
- Quick action 1 person set up
- Dew heaters
- Ripstop nylon light shroud
- Argo Navis or Nexus DSC
- 10K or 32K or custom ultra-high resolution(20 – 60x higher res) Renishaw encoders (at a significantly higher cost)
- Wired stalk and shelf
- Split system stainless wheelie handles
- Heavy duty carry cases for secondary cage and poles
- Heavy duty stalk and accessory case
SDM Scopes can be customised at no extra cost to suit your needs, and I can uniquely offer local Australian product support to keep your SDM creation working perfectly.